About Me

My photo
grew up in Ang Lee's The Ice Storm, contemporary of Judd Apatow. Listened to Free to Be You and Me and Yellow Submarine countless times on a phonograph that could play 16⅔, 33⅓, 45 or 78 rpm records from the inside of a large console cabinet on the floor of my living room. John Lennon was assassinated, the 1980's began, and I went through puberty. On late night radio, random people asked Dr. Ruth all variety of questions about sex. She asked, "Do you masturbate?" If the caller said yes, she gleefully exclaimed "Gut!" in Yiddish, and then took the next call. Went to college, abroad, grad school, work and more grad school. Married, started a new career and had kids. Decided that like Jung at age 37, my time for individuation had arrived. I'm ISTJ according to Myers-Briggs; I'm a five according to Enneagram; I experience "flow" as described by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi. I read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, but surely there must be more to it than cleaning one's closets. And what is "love" anyway? After one of my children was diagnosed with mild Asperger's, on September 24, 2010, I heard Tim Page on the radio say that he figured it out after his son was diagnosed. Oh.

1/11/11

7. flow

Most of the time, what I "feel" is either boredom or mental stimulation. Spending time with other people is often boring. I'm detached because I'm distracted by something else that is stimulating my brain. I like being distracted. I spent a lot of my childhood alone in my room playing with Legos (I specifically liked the Technic type). If I wasn't playing Legos, I was building structures with wooden blocks, playing with an erector set, putting together models, flying rubber band powered balsa wood planes, etc. I have a craving to learn new things, to acquire and process information. I love learning and practicing a new song on the guitar until I can play it from memory with no mistakes. That moment when motor memory takes over from conscious memory is magic. Sometimes when I'm really "into" something, I'll spend all of my free time doing it for some period of time. If it's a finite project, I'll spend all of my free time doing it until it's finished. Others might perceive this as being "obsessed" with something. But why? Why is it better to do a smattering of different things, than to just focus on doing one thing for some period of time. I like being "pre-occupied." When I am hyper-focused on something, the chi flows, and I find the tao. Sometimes I lose track of time, and the hours can pass by in minutes. Usually, I’m doing something that I consider to be productive and fulfilling; but occasionally, my mind is being hob-gobbled by a foolish consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment